Sunday, February 14, 2016

Creative Update

I started out this year, with the goal of getting something published. I've achieved that already, twice actually. My poem Hard to Keep a Heart Warm can be found here http://www.thepoetswithoutlimits.com/ohio-12.html in Poetry Without Limits. You can also read a couple of really cool interviews, one with my friend Drew, and some fine poetry from local Toledo area poets.

Secondly, my poem An Ode to the Female Barfly can be found here https://www.redfez.net/poetry/woman-ode-to-the-female-barfly-2335 in Red Fez Issue number 86. Red Fez is a pretty bad ass online publication.

So that's one goal out of the way. I guess I should have made more than one goal.

I read an interesting blog column earlier today. It was about continuing to write even when it seemed that no one cared. I wish that I could remember who wrote it, or where I read it. I could have shared another of those dandy hyperlinks so you could read it too.

I'm lucky enough, that I have a really cool, and supportive wife. She has long been the biggest fan of my creative work. I'm also lucky that my wife is super hot, and since today is Valentine's Day, and since I've spent the bulk of the day locked in my office working on creative shit, I feel that mentioning the fact that I think she's super hot is acceptable.

I am also lucky enough to have a few dozen friends that have religiously supported my creative endeavors. Whether it's liking the poetry that I share online, reading this blog, sharing my work on their own Facebook pages, I have some very supportive people in my life.

And because I had the courage to say hello to a tall, long-haired, introverted coworker, I've gotten plugged into an underground scene of the finest writers I've ever met. That long-haired coworker is my friend Adrian. He, and his wife Jonie are some really cool people, both of them incredibly talented writers. Adrian is the first factory working writer that I've ever met, besides myself. I've met a few others along the way since. Anyway, I regularly wander around open mics and such, with some amazingly talented poets. These folks have all made me a better writer.

By the way, Jonie McIntire has a poetry chapbook coming out in May. You can, and should, pre-order it here https://finishinglinepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=2583

Ha! I found an excuse to share another hyperlink. Hyperlink is a funny word. Isn't the fucking internet amazing?

So, where does the blue collar writer go from here? I submitted some poems to another publication today. I wrote a new poem too. I started editing an old short story that I wrote a year or two ago. I'm going to submit it for publishing later this week. I've got some other stuff floating out there in the publishing world, waiting to see if anyone cares for it or not.

And I'll keep on writing, even if it seems like no one cares much. If I don't write something pretty regularly, I get to feeling pretty restless.

Stay tuned: and go click on those hyperlinks!

Ps. anytime you share a writer's stuff, it helps them get noticed a little more. Help a writer out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home